Human Behavior and Social Development PowerPoint Presentation
Congratulations! The hiring committee was impressed by your interview, and you were offered the position. Now, you have been tasked with your first major project. For this assignment, you have been asked to create a professional PowerPoint presentation for the team, identifying a social issue of a marginalized target population (children with autism spectrum disorder, aggressive/violent children, sexually abused children, children in foster care, children who are victimized by bullies, etc.) in a specific age cohort (early childhood, middle childhood, or adolescence). The presentation needs to include research-informed models specific to the population of choice. In addition, it must include an advocacy piece for the selected population on a policy, micro, or macro level, paying particular attention to multiculturalism and diversity, social justice, and inequality.
Be sure to use a professional template and create a presentation that is visually appealing by including the use of graphics and SmartArt to streamline information in a memorable manner. Select the key information that should be provided directly on the slide for your presentation. Details to support your slides, as if you are presenting, are required in the notes section. Please read the assignment requirements for details on the guidelines and expectations.
For this assignment, please respond to the following:
Slide 1: Title Slide
Slides 2 & 3: Social Issue and Population
- Present a brief introduction of the issue and population of your choice.
- Articulate a specific issue that affects a vulnerable population and discuss published research studies on the issue and population.
- Please locate at least two articles to support your responses.
Slide 4: Ecosystems and Biopsychosocial Perspectives
- Discuss the development of the issue for the selected population.
- Identify key information about the issue or population using the ecosystems perspective.
- Discuss the issue or population from a biopsychosocial perspective.
- Illustrate the roles of family and community in the issue.
Slides 5 & 6: Developmental Theory
- Select a theory and use it to analyze the issue/population of your choice.
- Explore the theory in terms of cultural effectiveness and compatibility.
Slides 7, 8, & 9: Policy and Practice Model
- Discuss a related policy that advocates the well-being of the population of your choice.
- Briefly explain how the policy promotes social justice and responds to inequality and institutional discrimination that affect marginalized populations.
Slides 10 & 11: Services Related to Policy
- Next, research and identify a program, preferably one that exists in your community or state, which provides services related to this policy.
- Explain the programs purpose or mission, the location/demographics, the target population, and interventions provided within the program. For example, a behavioral health program that serves youth ages 1318 in a certain location providing individual and group counseling interventions.
- How do the program and policy address at least two of the following: social justice principles, systemic or institutional barriers, and inequality and poverty?
- Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of both the policy and the program in terms of how well they address multiculturalism and diversity. For example, do the policy and program specifically reach out to diverse populations, or do they ignore or limit the multicultural dimensions of helping?
Slide 12: References
- Include a minimum of four scholarly, academic sources (with one of these references being the textbook) listed in APA format.